Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Socks Can Be Worn To Death!

These are the first pair of socks my girlfriend in California got from me. I think she said when she got them, she wore them one month straight without taking them off. That is except to bathe,of course. She has been visiting me, and she has been wearing her little sassy socks I made her the second time around. This morning she brought these in and said, "Is there anything that can be done to them?" I just shook my head and said, "We could give them a decent funeral." I was appalled that she put them on and wore them anyway. She said she will wear them until they become anklet warmers. I have repaired them a coupla times, but this time there is nothing left to repair! She said she feels one of the most important things she has inherited after her mom's recent passing were the socks I sent to her mom last winter.
As much as I am pleased to see this friend, she wears me out. She takes a lot of energy to be around. I do more cooking, although neither of us are big eaters. She is not picky about food, thank goodness. But her mother passed two months ago, and she is still grieving. So I had to be patient and listen to her long discussions of everything about the final months, and the funeral, and all that stuff. As you can guess, she has left already. So-whew!
Sunday CJE and I did a coupla dye pots of marigold dyeing. I felt this was an appropriate activity to do on All Soul's Day. How else should we honor our ancestors than to do a big dye mess on the deck?



















I really couldn't get a good picture of the final colors. We used some light gray Rambouillet and a white Romney. Of course, the white is a brighter color, but the gray has a heather tone to it. I thought it was pretty anyway.
Yes, we are still having the most glorious Fall days ever. It has been in the high 60's, windy, and SUNNY! I think the rain is supposed to return next week. SIGH! It should have been like this all through October. But no, we had to have 22 days of rain and a coupla cool days there.
I actually did a load of towels this morning and they are out on the clothesline. I did some jeans with them, and they are dry already. I really like these sunny days.
I had the Sears repairman over this morning to do a maintenance on my riding mower. I have a real thing about plopping out the money for things like this. If I don't do this, it will come back to bite me in the butt later. The joys of being a single female that does not know how to do this work on the machine herself. I just know I have to take care of these things so it does not cost me an arm and a leg later on. The guy did tell me he had to replace the blades. One was bent really bad, and the other one had been chewed up by rocks. Whatever!
I look forward to my t.v. programs tonight. My friend from California has been mad because she cannot get t.v. reception in her cabin in Oklahoma. She bought one of those converter boxes, but does not have the proper antenna in place. So she was missing her t.v. stuff. Yet the whole time we had the t.v. on the last two nights, she talked through it all. I just sat in my chair and knit. I just let her ramble. I usually turn on the shows I like on low volume, knit away, and I don't have to interact much with anything. Occasionally I will look up to see what is going on. Last night I went to my bedroom and laid in bed reading. I left her to the t.v. and she told me she fell asleep during one of the shows. I think that's what she needed more than anything. To just sleep and rest.
Well, I am going to go back outside and try to get a little yard work done. It is so pleasant outside. I love wearing short sleeves in November! I have to get as much Vitamin D as I can before the Dark Days arrive again.
I hope you are having glorious days this week. I wish I could share all the gratitude that I have at this moment.





No comments: