Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumnal Equinox!



I wanted to show you in photos what to do with soft apples that aren't good to eat raw. I peeled 'em, cooked 'em, and then made applesauce. My great-grandmother Annie always told me that you have to have plenty of applesauce and apple butter for the winter. She always told me that they were good for colds. I have three jars of apple butter in the pantry, and now this one large container of apple sauce. I always add extra spices, since I like the mixture of nutmeg, allspice, clove, cinnamon, ginger, and sugar.


I always find I have to have applesauce and peaches in the freezer about January. That's when I start craving fruit. I guess the newness of citrus fruits has worn off about then, and I am craving summer fruits. I always have a container with orange-cranberry relish that I mix up and eat regularly through the holidays. But that gets old after a while.


The chickadees are here! Time to think about getting seeds in the container and getting the bird feeders repaired. They are finishing up the sunflowers now, so no big hurry. The robins are busy, busy, busy eating pokeberries and getting worms. They are surely the fattest birds on the place.


Yesterday was our Indian Summer day. It was hot, humid, and the sun was out for part of the day. Then humongous storms rolled in around 6:30 p.m. It was a real thunder-booming evening. So today is gloomy, overcast, cool, and wet, wet, wet.


I finished weaving the scarf. It is really, really pretty. I washed it and hung it out on my portable wooden dryer thing on the screened porch. The yarn bled really badly, but I think it is okay now. I cannot decide if I want to hem it or leave the fringe. I will wait until it dries, and I will try it on again. Pictures will follow if the blogger will let me.


No new knitting news since I spent part of Sunday and all of yesterday finishing the weaving. I ordered some corrugated cardboard to use as a divider for the warp, and I wanted to get this off before I get that. I am going to warp for kitchen towels next, and I want the warp to be evenly distributed.
I guess that's about it in the news front. Just wanted to share some of the apple goodness. Have a good week. Fall is here!




No comments: