Sunday, December 16, 2007

Thoughts on Knitting Disasters!

I have been doing a lot of thinking today about this knitting thing! It is crazy that I found a UFO in a box that is an alpaca sweater with cables and complicated knitting going on. I have no idea at all where the pattern is for this thing. But I am looking at it and wondering when I did this. And why didn't I finish this? I have moved probably a minimum of 4 or 5 or even 6 times since its conception. I know it was before alpaca was boon, and it was very costly to buy. I bought it at the Taos Wool Festival, and I met the alpaca farmer and met one of the alpacas. I have a cardigan that my grandmother made with the same yarn-cables and all. So now I have to unravel the whole shebang and block the alpaca yarn and do something else with it.

I have also been thinking about New Year's. I don't make a list of resolutions, but I try to set goals for the New Year. Things I would like to do for the year. It is hard to explain, because verbally it sounds like the typical resolution-thing. But this is not the "I want to lose 25 pounds in the year of 2008" thing. It is "how can I make a difference" kinda thing. It sounds stupid.

Anyway, I think I am going to go back to basics again. I am going to study a technique-like cables. I am going to make a ton of swatches. I want to understand how they work. I want to understand the math part of it. I am not going to worry about being Garment Challenged.

I want to study cables and fair isle again. I mean-I have been knitting since I was 5 years old. I was still knitting when knitting wasn't cool. But suddenly nothing seems to be working. I have got to re-group. My father would say "You've got to circle the wagons and reassess how you're going to get out of this mess."

So Knit 101 here I come. I think I've got to buy a coupla books for this. But I have a plan. Do you?

1 comment:

Dewey said...

It's so much for for me, a brand new knitter, to read posts like this by experienced knitters. A friend told me cables were easy, but I'm not sure it'll be that way for me!

Taos wool festival? Do you live near Taos? Your sunset photos look like you're somewhere more flat. :)