Friday, April 23, 2010

Happy Friday!

"Our truest responsibility to the irrationality of the world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find the truth." -Madeleine L'Engle

I will only add to that quote -to knit. I found this on another person's blog, and I googled her to read more of her quotes. I did like the one (paraphrased) that if the book you are writing is too difficult for adults, then write it for children.

I have really pushed myself this week to finish a project I started a coupla weeks ago. It is a surprise, so I cannot reveal it today. I will not have it finished by deadline, but it will be close.

I went to knit night last night at HandHeld. Only a few showed up, but there was a planned class for Mother's Day washcloths. One of the ladies that was there for the class brought in the most phenomenal soft dolls she had made in a class. One was a large doll balanced on the top of a flower. It was in soft pinks and ecrus. The doll had a cute little hat made of petals. The other was a doll made from a purchased tassel. It was really cute. She told us the lady that was having the class made the faces herself. They were really special.

JF and I sat next to each other. Since she goes to work at 5:30 am and works all day, she was very tired. She and her husband had been out on a social event the night before, and she didn't get a full night's sleep. She did show me what she is doing with her pink yarn I dyed. I think it will be a pretty shawl. I am so happy that she liked the color. It is really a cranberry, burgundy color, and is really nice. She had tried muting the color originally with tea, and that skein was darker than the others. So she overdyed the four others I had dyed with tea. They are not a true match, but close.

I worked on my handspun sweater last night. I ate nachos from Hugos, and I got very sleepy. I have tried to cut back on the bad food for a coupla weeks, and I was very hungry last night. So it was nachos or a blue cheeseburger. So after gorging myself and pigging out, I found the knitting to be very soothing. I had to leave or go to sleep in the chair.

I love reading other people's blog. I have a favorite in Knitting in Color. I love to see what she is doing. She puts links on her site to people who are doing colorwork. I am so in awe of what others are doing. It makes me feel like I am not doing anything. I cannot believe the intricacy of some of the work. It is inspiring!

Sunday is our sock group meeting. We are beginning a new project with colorwork socks. I have a pep talk prepared in my head for those who feel overwhelmed by the project. It really isn't that difficult. You just have to follow the chart, and the magic occurs. I like to just focus on one thing at a time, instead of looking at the whole sock and sighing. This one is Bazaar Socks, from Interweave Knits, designed by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. So it is a patchwork of various colorwork patterns. I like to isolate the one pattern I am working on at that time, and just focus on that one. Somehow this works for me.

I have put my glove on hold right now, but hopefully I will get that done next week. I have something else percolating in my brain, so I need to get the gloves off the needles and done. I do not like to have more than three projects started at once.

I was listening to my podcasts last weekend while spinning. There was one with an interview with Kristin Nichols. She said she thinks the reason knitters give away so many of their things is because we can only have so many sweaters to wear. She was advocating that we should knit pillows or home dec things. Unfortunately I don't need any of that. So I continue to give away, I guess.

So enough rambling on and on. Believe it or not, while I was typing we had a brief little rain. The north sky is dark, so hopefully there is more on the way. I heard last night that there were 32 tornadoes reported in Kansas yesterday. I wondered where they were, since we haven't had any so far this season. I would love to go through one tornado season without one.

Have a safe and productive weekend. Enjoy!

No comments: