Saturday, October 10, 2009

Taos-I Miss You Already!

Needless to say, I did most of the driving on this trip. We took JE's car, and she started the trip. Her back started hurting, and I did most of the driving from that point on. I got really tired of the hot, windy, really windy, panhandle of Oklahoma. I kinda zoned out at Woodward, and forgot to turn right. I went straight instead and found this town called Shattuck. It is one of those immigrant towns like they have in Kansas. Well, they had a little park that was FULL of windmills. These were heritage windmills that had been collected in and around that part of Oklahoma and into Texas and Kansas. They had restored them, and they were wonderful. They had placards attached telling where they came from and the age of the windmill. I won't bore you with all the pics I took, but I loved the windmills.

They had constructed a soddy, complete with prickly pear cactus growing on the roof. A nice man from Kansas took our picture. It was unbelievably cool inside this little house. the walls were rocks and hillside, the floor was hard-packed soil, and the roof was sod. There was a sign inside telling about the history of the soddy in the area.
We detoured on Day 2 and went to Santa Fe. This was not planned, but one member of our entourage had never been there, and we struck out for the city. After some maneuvering, we parked the car, and walked. Two members of the group went through the Palace of the Governors; but since CJE and I had seen that, we sat in the park and knit and people watched. Afterwards we ate at the Plaza Restaurant, my standard eating place on the square. We actually got to our timeshare condo late in the evening, and collapsed. I was really tired.
Day 3 we got up leisurely, and off to Espanola and Chimayo. These were my only request when we planned the trip. In Espanola we went to the Espanola Valley Fiber Arts Center. It is a central hub for revival of the weaving and textile arts in this part of New Mexico. They are a 301C non-profit membership and they are very inspiring to every one of us. After that we headed for Chimayo. I wanted everyone to see the historical weaving community. We did two stops there, and then off to find Leona's Tamale stand. It was unbelievably good! I sent everyone into the Sancturia to see the historical church. Then back home again.
But we got up early on Saturday-Day 4- to go to Taos for the Wool Festival. I have been several times before, and I only took two pics there. I did not know there was an unofficial Ravelry tent set up until there was an announcement. Oh well! I was good. I tried to pace myself and rest some. I only bought a little bit of fiber. I found some really pretty Teasewater/Coopworth roving blend of three natural colors. I did buy 2 1oz gorgeous merino rovings in deep saturated colors. They will get blended with something else.
After the festival we went to LaLana Wools, of course, and down to Southwest Weaving, of course. There was a special thing going on that evening to honor Rachel Brown, but we were all too tired to hang around town. After making a coupla of stops on the way back to Red River, we ate dinner and crashed.

One of the stops on the way was a set of three shops. I was shopped out and wandered around the gardens. I found this wonderful display of wind sculptures, and was so intrigued. Again, I will not bore you with all the shots I took. They were wonderful!

JE and her mother went off to do more tourist stuff on Sunday-Day5. CJE and I chose to stay in Red River at the condo and rest. We talked, we knit, we sat in the sun, we went for a walk, and we each took a spot and read and were quiet for a while. We walked to a nice little restaurant for lunch. A nice down time for us.
Monday-day 6- we had to get an early start and go home. This was the beginning of the "pile" of loot. It was a little bit scary.

But it ALL fit without a problem. There was room for more!

Just past Bobcat Pass, I stopped for picture taking. I love this scenic route!

Normally, when I drive out to Taos, this is my first stop in the mountains. It is near Cimarron, depending on which direction you are driving. Since none of my traveling companions had ever seen this, I had to stop and take some pics. This is JE complying with my request to stand near the sign. Somewhere I have a few of me standing near the sign, but not this trip.

And here are the Palisades. When I see these, I know I am going to Taos. I am finally out of the dry desert. In this case, we were leaving the mountains! SIGH! And we had the dry desert to look forward to. YUCK!

It was a long, windy, dry drive home. It threatened to rain on Monday, but I think we were following it. We got home on Tuesday afternoon. Of course, I had one day of dry weather to mow my yard before we had more storms here. It has been a tiresome catch-up with chores and getting unpacked and laundry completed, etc.
Today was our weaving guild meeting. I am almost finished with the stranded knit hat, and I have completed the cuffs on the cabled-cuff mitts. I just cannot decide what to do with the mitt part. The merino seems a little wimpy, but the double thread is too heavy. Will deal with this after the hat is completed. Tomorrow!
I got lots of dye stuff, and that is a plan for the future. I have to put the binding on the quilt that is completed. And soon winter will be here. It is time to hibernate with all my projects. I will be happy without outside chores.
Enjoy the weekend. More rain is on the way!

No comments: