Monday, October 26, 2009

My Trees Are Almost Naked!

It is hard to believe that the trees are losing their leaves so quickly. This has been a long month of rain, rain, rain, and a coupla little frosts so far. The few sunny days brought beautiful leaf shows, but it was so brief.

Is it just me, or is everyone on a Rhinebeck overload? I know that it is one of the biggest Fall events, especially in the Northeast, but really, in the scheme of things, how can it take so much precedence over everything else?

Our sock club, SSK, met yesterday. It is just a little group of folks, but we do just a lot of stuff. I am so amazed every month when we do show and tell. I think that we are all talented knitters and fiber artists.

I am almost finished with skein #1 of the yak and mohair blend. Because it is so fine, it takes a long time to do it. So I tricked myself by weighing it and dividing it in half. That gives me a finite goal to reach. And it worked, I guess. Or I am persistent and I just want to get it done. It is tough to be a monogamous spinner, but I am limited to the one spinning wheel. I have been blending some yummy wools together, mostly merino, in some really loud colors. I think that is next. Maybe. I will put the second batch of yak/merino on hold and do something that is faster.
Then I can go back to tedious and fine again.

I am getting into hibernation mode again. I am stocking the pantry and the freezer. I have a tendency to not leave the house for days. I just hibernate. I make myself go out when I feel I have to have some socialization. But that can be just a quick trip to the grocery store, or even the convenience store. I don't require much. It really is too much to ask me to go anywhere in a group of people for more than one hour. And there is that flu thing to think about.

I read in yesterday's paper about dog flu. It is some kind of mutation from equine flu. I read they even have a shot for that to give to dogs. My Gosh! is there never an end to all this? It gives me the creeps to see all the little kids faces as they squirt that stuff up their noses! I feel like the 1950's again when my mother made us get booster shots-yes, booster shots- for everything there was to give a booster shot! I had smallpox vaccinations every year because I never got a scar. Fast forward 20 years and a doctor told me my mother could have killed me with all these shots. I even got tetanus boosters every year! I think I am set for life on that one.

Anyway, don't get me started on this! I can rant for days. I am going to hibernate instead.

No new pics to show anyone. Just a rant and a rave. Have a good week. Stay safe and dry and warm.

No comments: