Saturday, July 12, 2008

Elinora's New Shoes!!

Here she is with her new shoes, new drive band, and new tension spring. A makeover anybody would be proud of! I had forgotten that there was a tension spring. I've been using heavy-duty rubber bands forever. But I thought I'll try it again. We'll see how long it lasts!
Aren't they just beautiful! I sat down to set the tension and get it going. I automatically sat in my old position- one foot on and one foot back. Then I had to remember to put both feet on. And it did change my body posture. I hope this will help with my sore hip problem.

There is one hitch-so far. With the outside con rod, there is only this silly little 3-ring that holds it in place. And it is not very tight. With each rotation of the circle, the con rod makes a plop noise as it reaches the top. It is a little bit annoying. I've got to work on that some. The old mechanism used a long bolt that had a tension nut in between the crankshaft and the con rod. It was very efficient.

I also have to get used to the treadle mechanism. I now have a tendency to treadle too fast. I get more overtwist. All this will take some time to work out the kinks.

I am most pleased with my job. I will say the hardest part was removing the old crank and replacing the new one. It is very strange that it twists in and out instead of just pushing it in or out. And I had to find the hole for the hub pin. That was the hardest.

But isn't she gorgeous now! I am so pleased with my "new" old wheel.

No comments: