Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Frigging Tuesday!

"Voting is the least arduous of a citizen's duties. He has the prior and harder duty of making up his mind."Author: Ralph Barton Perry

I am sick to death of all of the candidates-Democrats, Republicans, or Independents. I think they all are trying to get on my last nerve. Hopefully today will answer some questions for some folks.

I have had all the socialization I need for another week or so. I was asked by a friend to take her mother to the doctor yesterday. She paid for the gas and a little bit extra. So I took her to the doctor and was home by 12:30p.m. I was content to veg out until I would head out to the knitting group at 6p.m.

My older brother called and was on his way to my house. I think this is a joke. My brother never comes to visit me. I live in the boonies. He, of course, took some side trips on the way, and a three hour drive took five hours. He was impressed with the vistas, the mountains, and the remote-ness of my abode. It was really nice since we had a record high of 75 degrees yesterday. Every Spring Peeper was out croaking their little hearts out.

Of course, with the thaw comes MUD on the road. The snow and ice melted on the roads, and the ground was thawed a little bit. So MUD! And he was driving a white car!

But we got to catch up on a lot of little stuff. We ate at a Thai restaurant in the nearby city, and we got home to sit in front of the internet and drink tea. We watched the Hilary town council and talked through most of it.

This morning a neighbor wanted to know if I knew where another neighbor was. I told him he was in Texas, but would return tonight. He then asked me a coupla other questions, and I figured he was trying to make sure I was alright. I told him my brother was visiting, and that was the extra car in the driveway. "Okay, I was just trying to make sure you were alright." My brother was amazed that anyone would even notice that. I told him we are a pretty closed group up here, and anything out of the ordinary makes some hill people a little bit wary. We don't chitchat visit one another, but we check up on one another.

The red-tailed hawks are mating. Sunday I saw Mr. Hawk in one tree by the pond. He was thrilling a song I was not familiar with, and it made me watch. Ms. Hawk flies up and he flies to another tree, and I barely can see he has something attached in a fork in a branch. He lands near it and looks towards her. She flies over, looks it over, and turns her back to him. She said something to him, and flew to another tree. So he does what anyone would do, he ate it. Never let a good meal go bad. Then he flies to the tree where she is. She turns her back to him again, and then flies to another tree. I finally got tired of the silly game she was playing.

As soon as my brother's car was out on the muddy road, I heard the shrilling cry of the hawks. I guess they were waiting until the coast was clear to continue their silly courting game.

I keep watching for the foxes. I hope they come back again. I haven't heard them down on the creek in the holler. I sometimes will hear them talking at night as they trot up and down the holler.

No comments: