Thursday, December 31, 2009

The End Is Near For 2009!

"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The end is slowly closing on 2009. It is another change that is inevitable. I have so many things to be thankful for. I have two companions that are always amusing me. This is my refrigerator monitor that watches every time I open the door. I pause to think about what I take out. If you had someone staring at you and crooking his head to watch as you take something out, wouldn't you pause and think about what you are doing? None of that mindless eating stuff going on here. I also have been thinking about how things have changed this year. I think the biggest change I have seen is in the world of fiber-especially knitting. I have never seen so many independent designers in my life. I guess the change on that scene is Ravelry. The designers now can sell their designs without going through a magazine or book publisher. The internet makes it so easy, and many designers sell a download for a very low price.

On that note, I have seen an increase in fiber stuff on Etsy also. What a great marketing tool that is. I am envious of whoever thought up that little idea. The internet is by far the fastest way to find things these days. It is so easy to look up patterns, and it is easy to find other people who have used that pattern.

Blogs have really taken off. I find myself reading more and more blogs. I like to read what others are doing, and it really brings that person's thoughts to me.

Which brings us to the internet. With the internet, we are closely connected to one another. It seems that our community has grown because we can connect to one another now. I feel like I am someone's friend, and when I go places I look for blogger friends or Ravelry friends. I think the internet has played an important part in the growth of the fiber world.

I have never seen so many new fibers as I have lately. I cannot believe that it is so easy to find corn, bamboo, tencel, milk, or soy fibers. I remember a few years ago I hunted for a little dab of soy to just see how it spins. Now it is everywhere. I found a source for bison this year, so that is something to be happy about. It is so expensive to buy and I consider it a true luxury fiber.

I am happy that I was able to attend three fiber events this year. I had a good time at all, and wish I could do more. It is very expensive to fly to some of the locations, so it is essential to find events closer to home. It is very important to support the local events for that reason. It is also important to continue the community of local knitters, spinners, and weavers. I am so fortunate to have sisters and brothers in the fiber community that I share my passion with.

I am ready for new change and new connections. I am ready for new challenges. I sometimes forget that others do not understand the passion for knitting that I have. My neighbor asked me the other day, "Do you knit all the time?" His wife piped in, "When she's not spinning or weaving or sewing." It is hard to sit in a restaurant without some knitting in my hand. It is hard to stand in a line without some knitting in my hand. It is hard to wait anywhere without knitting in my hand. Maybe it is obsessive, but I am rather content when I have my hands engaged.

So friends, do not despair. Just pick up the pointy sticks and follow me. We are off to another year of adventure and fun. It will be a better year for us all.

I leave you with one more photo of Noodles bird watching. It is better than buying that program for Kitty T.V. He sits for hours watching them outside.

No comments: