Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Heat Is On!

 My Japanese indigo plants are thriving.  I have not picked any.  I am just going to baby them through the summer and hopefully they will reseed and flourish for next year.
 The mugwort and tansy plants are taller than me this year. 
 The catnip has exploded!  I am watering daily, but it is beginning to suffer some with the heat.  Noodles sits in the middle of the planter and eats.
 This is the hollyhock that is from seeds I brought from the b&b yard in Taos.  After spraying it with the stuff, it stabilized and is producing some beautiful flowers.
These were some plants I bought three years ago.  Last year they did bloom a few little flowers.  This is the year now that it is glorious.  Again, after spraying it I was able to save the poor little thing and it is blooming beautifully.  The color is a deeper maroon color than pics show.

I find it much too hot to mow carefully this time of year.  I have been using the riding mower in spurts.  I can't do it all at one time.  It is just too hot.  I did not trim or use the string trimmer last week.

Noodles and Patty are finding all the stick-tights that are coming with the weeds.  I pick them out as fast as I can.

I have wound down with the knitting.  I did finish the socks, and I am still knitting the lace scarf.  I picked up the UFO of a shawl that I put aside earlier on.  I also decided in the late evening while watching Netflix on t.v., I can do a few squares on my mitered square blanket.  I know I declared it "done" a long, long, long time ago, but I am going to do one more row while it is so hot.  Easy peasy knitting.

Of course, I am still spinning yarn.  I just completed a teeny skein of black alpaca.  It is so lovely.  Glossy and a true-black color.  I have decided to put some odds/ends together to make a small skein of something.  We will see if the colors look okay when spun.  Right now that is iffy when I look at the color mixtures.

I decided I could sew strips together to make a strip quilt, but that hasn't been going too well.  I keep getting distracted and I somehow got my strips twisted.  I had to rip out a seam and untwist, and that did me in. 

Otherwise I am reading a lot, and doing a whole lot of nothing.  This is typical for summer when the weather is awful. 

My friend SMH and I went out to eat last night to celebrate our birthdays.  We had a good meal, and enough food for us to eat today as well.  We had a good time, and it was fun! 

I need a little fun right now.  I have had one of my bouts of depression that hits me periodically.  I have to wallow around in it for a while, which does strain friendships some.  I call it going down into the well.  After moaning around for a while, I usually pull myself out and move on.  Thank goodness I never get bad enough to be concerned.  It is just a cyclical thing I have done all my life.

Have a good weekend.  July is upon us and we are moving into deep summertime.  So far I have only had to use the a/c during the heat of the day.  I can get by at night and early day without it.  July is a test of endurance.  There were times last year that the a/c stayed on 24/7.  It is usually the time of long siesta.  Do not move much or you sweat.  Then August is the hot, hot month.  Then it begins to wind down to Fall.  Aren't cycles wonderful!

Stay safe and cool wherever you are.   

No comments: