Friday, June 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, SH!

Today is one of my oldest friend's birthday. Oldest meaning the length of years we have been friends-not chronological years. I am actually a wee bit older than her. But we grew up from cribhood on together.

Yesterday I went to her house to spend the afternoon with her family. Her oldest son and his family are visiting from Maryland, and her daughter and granddaughter came over to visit also. I think my friend is a little bit tired, having a house full of young people running around, eating, and just making a lot of noise. She actually took a week off from work so she could be available to them. And they have been busy.

I know that I had a headache by the time I got to the yarn shop for Knit Night. And our usual quiet get-together turned out to be the night of a combination birthday/going-away party for Sarah Jo. So the shop was full, the noise was very loud, and we didn't get a lot of visiting done.

The biggest problem we have in this group is when one person shows something, or is knitting something, we all want to do that something. Last night is a linen stitch scarf knitted with koigu. Okay, I know I have tons of yarn at home, but I bought the pattern and 3 skeins of yarn for the scarf. Just like everyone else. Unfortunately they only bought 6 patterns, so only six of us are doing this right now. Or whenever I can get going. It actually looks like it is woven, because the linen stitch looks like the product is woven.

I just took a little break from this. A strange service truck pulled into my drive. I am always nervous when someone strange drives in, because it is not a normal thing. It turned out that my gas meter was scheduled to be replaced, and he then came in to turn on the hot water heater pilot. You know, I think this is the first time ever, ever, ever that anyone else other than me has lit a pilot light for me. Well, sorta, I guess. The hot water heater was turned on when I moved into the house. He also checked the furnace to see if I had an automatic ignition, and I told him it did. He checked anyway.

I scanned my usual blog entries this morning. It appears that Summer is happening to everyone right now. I don't feel so bad. I think it is seasonal, and that I have work that has to get done. I am the only one to do the work, and I haven't trained my dog to run the lawn mower - yet! I think she is such an airhead that it would look really funny when she finished.

Our sock group meets this Sunday. Four or five people have already emailed or told me they cannot come. I think it is the Summer thing again. A lot of people have family things going on, and some people are traveling. I can't get all that excited about this sock, so I am not too upset.

I am doing the waist decreases on the handspun sweater. It is kinda fun since I have to keep in pattern. Not enough of a challenge that it is demanding. I just have to keep on my toes a little bit.

My friend CF is back home again. The friend that she was staying with passed away this week. It is such a blessing, but it is sad for his children. They were all with him all last weekend, and were with him when he passed.

I am just glad my friend can get her life back on track. She said she wanted to re-evaluate her pottery and see what direction she wants to go with that. This is the time of year she can make money, and she needs to get to work on that. The gallery that sells her stuff has been really understanding of why she has such small pieces and such a small inventory. But I am sure they have called her already and asked for some bigger stuff.

I guess I will go make some lunch. It is 12:30 and I am a tad bit hungry. I know this is awful, but Red Baron makes microwave pizza by the slice. They are not so bad. I know it is not the same as homemade or restaurant quality, but not so awful. The crust is thick and chewy, and the sauce is okay.

Well, have a good weekend. I am so very close to finished on the mitered blanket thing. I have to finish the ends, and wash it. Then it's done. Yeah! Pics soon. I have put the crocheting down for a little bit. My forearm is hurting, and I know it is the way I crochet that aggravates it. It is about 28" square. I like it.

Keep cool and keep knitting! Just sit under the ceiling fan like Noodles does. He is stretched out right now directly under the fan!

No comments: