Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Okay! It's Official-I'm Old!

I just returned from a whirlwind tour of the Arkansas Ozarks.  My friend CJE invited Ann Hood, the writer, to attend Books in Bloom in Eureka Springs.  She had to drive to Little Rock to pick her up, and deliver her to the Writer's Colony.  They spent a delightful evening on an art crawl on White Street, with wine and snacks along the way.  CJE had to return home to check on the moms and to check in with her husband.  Sunday a.m. she came over here, and we took off to Eureka Springs for the Books in Bloom event.  The afternoon was mostly HOT, with occasional clouds and wind.  We had a wonderful meal at Carib with a lot of the local folks that CJE knows.  Then after a restless night at a friend's house, we got up Monday to return Ann to Little Rock to fly away eastward. 

We took a quick trip down the Pig Trail, and onto the interstate straight into Little Rock.  We arrived in plenty of time to swing by the capitol building.  Then after dropping Ann off at the airport, we headed westward on the interstate.  We stopped at some friends' house in Conway to check in with them.  We stayed overnight, and then up and out yesterday morning.  Home again around 1 p.m.

I met some wonderful people, but I tell you the best were the kitties at K and R's house in Conway.  They have ten cats.  They were wonderful kitties.  I needed some kitty love by that time.

I picked up Patty at the boarders, and she was ecstatic to go home, too.  Bless her heart, she slept the whole afternoon and evening.  She was worn out.  Well, we both were.  Two old ladies , groaning and moaning, and just pooped.

It was fun to talk to Ann the whole trip, but I don't know how she manages her schedule and her life.  She travels a lot.  It was just remarkable to hear the stories and to laugh and to have fun on this quick little trip.

I am finally getting back to schedule again.  I got the trash out this am, watered what little bit I am watering, and unpacking my bag.  I need to shower and get dressed, but I may just not do that today.

My neighbor brought me supper last night.  I had to keep from hugging her.  I was so tired, and hungry, so I just pulled out something from the freezer to stick in the oven to heat up.  Just as I closed the oven door, the doorbell rang.  She had a platter full of fried crappie, real fried potatoes, and hush puppies.  It tasted really good.  When they cook fish, they usually bring me some of it.  That is the only time I eat fried foods like that.  It always tastes really good, because someone else makes it.

So I am going to try to get the vest finished this week.  I only have a coupla days left in the week, but I think I can do it. 

We are getting water-deprived here.  I have been watering my buckeye trees and some of the flowers.  A friend reminded me last night that I don't have to water the trees.  They go into dormancy to reserve energy.  But it hurts to see their leaves go yellow and fall off.  Nature is so good to figure out how to survive things like droughts.

Have a great rest of the week.  Gotta run!

"As I get older, I just prefer to knit." - Tracey Ullman

No comments: