Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's Been A Long Three Weeks!






















These pictures are only some of the photos I took of the ice storm. It is so amazing how it all happened. There was ice on things by Tuesday morning when I got up on January 27, 2009. Then it rained off and on all day, but the rain froze as soon as it landed on something. I lost power at 11:00 a.m. for 5 days. I had no heat, but I cooked on top of the gas stove. The new gas stoves do not have pilot lights like the old ones, so I could not heat the oven. I used my emergency oil lamps at night, but the fumes were awful! I used a battery operated book light that I clipped onto my Kindle to read. My fingers were too cold to knit. I used a hot water bottle under the covers to keep the bed warm, which was the warmest place in the house. I lost the contents of the refrigerator and freezer, but I gave the meat to neighbors who had a generator and 18 family members staying with them. I just got my cable service back yesterday, and I am now connected to the world again.

Baby now seeks the warmest places in the house. That was her lesson from the storm. I found her just sitting in the dryer after I began folding clothes yesterday. She laid on top of me most of the time, or on top of the hot water bottle. Noodles got under the covers and stayed there most of the time. You would never know that they had fur coats and were actually better equipped than I was. I had on three layers on the bottom and four on the top, plus gloves and a hat. There were 5 blankets on the bed.
I escaped for a week to go to Tacoma, Washington, to the Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat. I will post pictures tomorrow.












No comments: