I have been busy this week dyeing with my indigo pot. The dress is an old one of mine that I normally just wear around the house. It has been overdyed twice before. The dye before this one was orange, and it shows through the indigo. I have mended the holes and it is ready for around the house wear again.
The two cloths were single dipped. I wanted some more moons, and some of them are perfect. Some are a little blurry. When I ironed the dried finished pieces, it appears that some of the blue skies are snowy and there are clouds around the moons. So there is hope for this piece. The other was accordion folded and then folded like a flag. It came out an odd pattern. I could redo another pattern or leave it to fussy cut from. I don't know yet.
I don't know why the cursor keeps going to the middle. I am having some struggles with this post.
It has turned seasonably hot and muggy. We had a drizzle the other morning, but it lasted less than an hour and made it more humid. I am watering my new flower bed. I don't know how established the plants are. They seem happy and are blooming. The new milkweed lost three of its branches. Hopefully I won't lose all of them. The one from last year that I transplanted is doing okay. No sign of butterfly eggs. The bumblebees are happy anyway. Not too many honey bees. Sigh!
I did find a box turtle by the step the other night. Hopefully the concrete blocks will act as a deterrent. It can munch all it wants to on other things.
The roadrunner is mostly at my neighbor's house now. It strangely goes from door to door and pecks at the doors and low windows. It has visited me a few times and sits on the rail of the screened porch. It looks me in the eyes when I talk to it. Some scrawny looking hummingbirds are feeding at the feeder. My friend has a Carolina wren nest in her asparagus fern basket. She moved it away from cat availability.
The Mugwort is blooming nicely. The bachelor buttons didn't do as well this year as years past. I ended up with patches in the yard that I mow around. Only one hollyhock rose to glory. I found new sprouts when I was weedeating. Maybe next year we will have a great show. The Echinacea is blooming. The Brown-eyed Susan's are blooming. The Black-eyed Susan's are big and lush, but no blooms yet. So the garden is slowly doing it's thing. I am waiting for the Tansy to bloom so I can use the flowers for a dye. I like the color that the leaves produced. I am spinning that right now on the electric spinner.
I am trying ever so hard to walk every day. It means I have to get up early and go somewhere. Today it wasn't going to happen. Instead I am going to a sale at the Junk Ranch. It is a two-day sale outside a rural town near here. Vendors bring vintage and repurposed and refurbished stuff. And some things are still junk, but one never knows if it is just the junk one needs. I am looking for storage ideas, but either wall mounted or small, small, small.
Yesterday the plumber came to check out the leak in the back shower. He said it was the drain; he crawled under the house (ick!); confirmed it was the drain; gave me an estimate; went off to buy a new drain; came back an hour later; fixed it in about an hour with his helper (his son); and now supposedly I do not have a leak. I have a fan blowing on the floor hopefully to dry that out. I don't want to replace the board unless I really, really have to. I was concerned about the mold, and a friend said to bleach it. So I have sprayed a lot of bleach on the board. I think after it dries more I will really scrub the corners and edge with a brush and bleach. When it is all dry I can decide what to do. If I don't replace it, I will have to seal it with that white stuff. I can't remember the name. I used it on the sub floor before the installation of my bamboo floors in living room and hallway.
I finished the sock carry-along project, so now I only have the scarf. I tried taking it to knit night last week, but I had to rip out one row when I got home. So yesterday I wound off the two balls of turquoise/multi color handspun and started a shawl. It is a very simple 8 row pattern, and I almost have it memorized. It is a pattern that I used for a shawl for a fiber show.
The shawl sold in the last hour of the show, and I did discount it because the woman really, really wanted it. She had on a green shirt with her jeans, and the green matched the shawl. She tried it on and pranced around. Everyone told her it looked like her. So the sucker that I am, I would rather have someone really happy with my knitwear than be rich and have someone give it to Goodwill after one wearing. I have an idea that this new one is going to be a Christmas gift.
I am spinning on the treadle wheel and the electric spinner. I mentioned that the tansy green is on the electric spinner and I am still spinning some purple on the treadle wheel. I was looking for some white fleece to dye with the tansy. I happily re-found a pound of the purple that I had stuck away for later. Hopefully I will have enough for a sweater when all done. I don't know yet what my annual winter sweater will be. I am leaning towards one of Anne Hanson's patterns. It will depend on the yardage.
I made the muslin for the new top I want to make. I have hips and now I have to accommodate for those hips. Sigh! This sagging business is ruining my memory of my figure. I have a new scale that tells me the BMI and the percentage of body fat. Not a comforting thing to find out. I know that I am 67 years old, but inside me still hides that athlete I once was. Oh, well, I will keep on walking.
So off to shower and clean myself from top to bottom. I have to get ready to go sweat and look for junk at the big sale. It is kinda exciting. A treasure hunt. Happy Friday everyone!