Friday, April 13, 2012

The Tale of Twin Sockies!

 The first sockie that was born is on the left in both pictures.  It is a plain-ole sock pattern with the goat's eye pattern by Nancy Bush.  I worked really hard on this sock.  When it was finished, I hastily tried to put it on.  Like Cinderella's slipper, the damn thing would not go over my heel.  I got really, really mad, and I threw it in the knitting bowl and cursed.

After a long, long time (maybe a month), I picked it up and examined it.  I was still mad, but I wasn't as angry as before.  I would lay in bed at night and think about this sock.  I finally got the brilliant idea to soak this sock for a very long time, and stretch it as much as I could.  I got up at midnight and started doing just that.  I finally was able to get it over the sock blocker.  When it was dried, I could get it on my foot.  It was very snug.

In the meantime, I took the yarn that I used for the background and warped my loom for a scarf.  I had dyed this yarn, so there is no match for it in the universe.

Then some time later, I picked up the nasty little sock and stared at it and thought about it.  I hate to admit failure in any knitting project.  If I don't like something, I will frog it all the way or at least until I like the way it looks.  This was a completed sock, and I hated it.  Then I started thinking again about how to make this right.

I thought-Maybe I could make a puppet.  Maybe I could make a coin purse.  Everyone called it a giraffe sock.  Maybe I could make a giraffe toy.
Of course, I will knit another sock, and it will fit.  Somehow I was going to make this one work.  I decided to knit it toe-up with an afterthought heel.  I did make a little glitch in the pattern work, but I was going to make this one work.  The other problem is what to do about the background color.  I used another skein of yarn from the same dye bath as the first, but it was much darker.  Was I going to be picky, picky, or was I going to finish this pair of socks?

So last night I finished the other sock.  I soaked them both again and put them on the sock blockers.  The second one did fit over the blocker much easier than the first sock. 

So now I have finished the awful pair of fraternal twins.  Right now I am just happy I finished this pair of awful socks.  I know there is a lesson here, but right now I just want to enjoy the view of finished socks.  And I have not tried them on.  No, I am not going to spoil my mood right now.

The End. 

1 comment:

Donna Iona Drozda said...

I find your "nasty, awful" socks quite charming.

I particularly enjoy the goat's eye pattern...and the color.

I love socks but have never tried to knit a pair.

I'm impressed by your ability to get socks to this point in their process and to have come to the brilliant soak em' zone in your thinking...
sock n rock on '-)